Bread upma is a superfast recipe and it will be very helpful when you are super tired or when you dont have time to make other dishes on a busy evening. It works for me surprisingly very well on these situations :)
My recipe contains Quite some capsicums. 'Bell Pepper (Capsicum)' are rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants. I prefer Red Capsicum than green as it has twice the content of vitamin C. 1 Red capsicum is as good as consuming 3 oranges, but you can use any capsicum you have . Anyways they get cooked easily :)
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
Serving size :2
Wheat bread 1/2 loaf (I prefer Wheat bread, you can use any type of bread you have)
Red capsicum 1 full (chopped) Remove the seeds
Green Peas 1/3 cup
Onion 1/2 big (Finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 large (finely chopped)
turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
Mustard and Jeera(Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp each
Green chilli 1 big finely chopped
Butter or oil 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
- cut the bread slices into small cubes and keep it aside
- In a tava melt have of the butter, once melted add turmeric powder to it
- Then add the bread slices to it and fry it until its golden brown. Note that the bread should not be too crispy nor too soft, it brings a very good taste when cooked correctly
- Remove the bread from the tava and transfer to a bowl.
- Now in the same pan, melt the remaining butter. Once it is hot add mustard seed after it splitters add Jeera.
- Then add the finely chopped onion to it, add a pinch of salt. As i say it brings out the moisture quickly.
- Once the onion turns transparent, add tomato, salt, green chilli, peas and capsicum then stir before covering it with a lid so that it gets cooked.
- Then add the cooked bread and mix them well to the vegetables and close the lid once again for a minute.
And Our delicious bread upma is ready :D