Karunai Kizhangu Masiyal (Mashed Yam)
Karunai Kizhangu is a type of Yam. There are two types of Yam, elephant yam and normal yam. The method of preparation is same for both and both tastes delicious. It is traditional south Indian recipe which basically a good accomplishment with rice with hot lemon rasam. I used the Normal Yam for this recipe
It is one of the most simplest recipes and i love its lemony spicy flavor.
actually nothing if its store bought and frozen :) May be 5 mins to peel off the skin and chop. Make sure to apply oil in your hands before peeling off the skin, some people may tend to get rashes. But there is nothing to be afraid, its just the inflammatory response of our body.
15 - 20 mins
Can be adjusted easily. Not necessary.
- Chopped Yam - around 4 cups (or 1 yam like in the image)
- Lemon Juice squeezed from 1/2 fresh lemon / Lime (Or to your taste)
- Coriander leafs - For garnishing
- Shredded coconut - 1 - 2 tbsp
- Water - if required
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal (Peeled black gram lentil) - 1 tsp
- Green Chilli - 1 finely chopped
- Finely minced Ginger - 1/2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp (I used coconut oil)
- Turmeric powder - a pinch for color
- Boil the chopped yam in water and season with turmeric and some salt for taste.
- Boil them until they are tender and can be easily mashed
- Once it is cooked, drain the excess water from the yam if any then mash them nicely and keep it a side on the counter
- Then in a pan, heat the oil and add mustard seeds and urad dal to it and wait for it to splutter and change color
- Next add in the chopped green chilli and ginger and saute it for a minute, then add the mashed yam and mix well.
- again saute for a minute.
- then switch of the stove, add the lemon juice , shredded coconut and mix well.
- Finally Garnish it with Coriander leaves and curry leaves.
If you want this to be a main course recipe, pressure cook some toor dal with some salt and mix it together in the end along with the lemon juice and coconut. Have enough water with the dal (Lentil) so that the gravy can be made easily.
Enjoy !! If its a side course it goes best with Rice and