Lemon rasam (South Indian Soup)
Lemon Rasam is my all time favorite :) I love it for its mixed tangy sour and spicy flavors.. My husband just drinks it like the soup:) In South India it is actually taken as an accomplishment to rice !
It is one of the Simplest recipes to make.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 - 20 mins
Servers : 2
- Lemon Juice from one large lemon (about 1/4 cup) or to your taste.
- Rasam Podi - 1 tbsp (Rasam podi is basically dry roasting and grinding coriander seeds - 1tbsp , cumin seeds - 1 tbsp, red chilli - 4 nos, black pepper - 8-10, turmeric powder, toor dal - 1/2 tbsp)
- tomato - 1or 2 (Your preference : 1/2 chopped, 1/2 peeled and mashed)
- hing - a pinch
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Green chilli - one small
- ginger - minced (less than 1/4 tsp)
- salt to taste
- Ghee - 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- jeera (cumin seeds) - 1/4 tsp
- Dissolve the rasam powder in 3 cups of water in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Mean while add the chopped and mashed tomatoes to it and also add salt and hing.
- Let it boil for around 15 - 20 minutes. You will know the Rasam powders raw smell will be gone when the frothing it forms on the side of the pan vanishes slowly.
- Then Switch off the stove. Add the lemon juice. (Never add lemon juice to the boiling substances, it then gives a bitter taste to the dish. Always add lemon juice in the end)
- Then using a tadka, heat the ghee and add mustard seeds , cumin seeds, ginger and wait for it to splutter and add it in the rasam.
- Finally Garnish it with Coriander leaves :)!!
Isn't it easy?? Enjoy the soupy rasam