Potato Pancake and Apple Sauce
Click on the image for closer look :)
Once I asked my husband to get some potatoes from market and he bought potatoes in a huge bag. I didn't know what to do with all those and ended up doing all possible recipes i can with those potatoes :) One of those recipes is this pancake.
It was supposed to taken for breakfast but i made them for snacks. It goes super good with apple Sauce.
Preparation time: 20 mins
cooking time: 35 - 40 mins
Serving size - 10 pancakes
INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKE:
Potatoe - 1 Large / 2 medium
Finely chopped onion - 1 cup
finely minced garlic - 1 clove
all purpose flour - 1 tbsp
milk - 1/4 cup
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Salt and grounded black pepper to taste
Generally eggs are used i substituted it with milk and flour
Baking powder - a pinch (Optional)
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE SAUCE:
- I used just one apple (Honey Crisp). Generally made in larger portions with different varieties of apple.
Pick a apple which is sweeter. Apple not recommended to use are like granny smith which are less sweeter that Fuji or red delicious
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder - a pinch
DIRECTION TO MAKE PANCAKE:
- peel and grated the potato in to fine slices and soak them in water along with chopped onions for 20 mins
- then drain the water completely ( squeeze water with hands and dry them with paper towel) Make sure no water oozes out
- then in a small bowl add flour , milk and baking powder and mix them well without any lumps.
- Pour this mixture to potato and onion and Oil, add salt , black pepper and minced garlic to it.
- potatoes should just be coated with milk mixture so that we fry them they would be glued together
- In a frying pan, have enough oil ( to make sure it is not as much as necessary for deep frying and not as little as required for sauteing, add oil which will be required to cover one side of the pancake.) on medium heat
- Once the oil is ready take spoonful of pancake mixture and drop them in the frying pan and tap them on the upper side so that they look round in shape
- it will take 3 - 4 mins to fry on one side, once it turns nice golden brown color then change sides and fry again.
- Do the same for all.
DIRECTION TO MAKE APPLE SAUCE:
- Once the apple is picked, peel them and cut into small pieces.
- in a pan add little water bring it to boil add the apple pieces, sugar and cinnamon to it and cover it with lit and let it cook for few minutes.
- Once it is cooked, mash the apple nicely and its ready :)
When i had it for the first time, this combination was weird but it was Yummy!! You just need Patience to make the pancake, if you don't wait until they are cooked, it spoils the taste. I know because i did it in the first round :P !!