Sambhar for idli and dosa
Everytime i make any tiffin, my husband needs sambhar. The Sambhar we make for Rice and Tiffin items are little different. This is the recipe which are like how they make in TamilNadu hotels
- Red gram dal- 2/3 cup
- Carrot - 1
- Drumstick - 1
- Shallots - 10
- Tomatoes - 2
- Hot green chili - 2
- Coriander leaves - 10
- salt - to taste
- Tamarind (puli) - 1 lemon size or paste 2 table spoon
TO GRIND AS PASTE
- Roasted gram - 2 table spoon
- Tomato - 1
- Shredded coconut - 1 table spoon
- Sambar powder - 4 table spoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 table spoon
- Mustard seed - 1/4 table spoon
- Cumin seed - 1 table spoon
- Broken black gram - 1 table spoon
- Hot dry Red chili - 1
- Curry leaves - 5
- Cook the toor dal to a paste by adding water as needed.
- Cut the Carrot, Drumstick into small pieces.
- Make 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Tamarind water with the Tamarind or Tamarind paste.
- Grind to paste roasted gram, Tomato , coconut, sambar powder, asafoetida add water if needed.
- In a pan, heat oil and add items mentioned in "for seasoning section and add shallots and saute for minute. Then to that add tamarind water, grind paste and cut vegetables.
- Once the sambhar is cooked (You will know when the froth it forms around the corner vanishes) add mashed dal.
- Let it cook for another 5 mins. Add water if required. Garnish it with curry and coriander leaves and Serve :)