Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A, vitamin c, potassium and they are rich in antioxidants. Do you know tomatoes are one of the richest sources of a carotenoid called lycopene. Lycopene can lower the risk of certain types of cancer, especially cancers of the prostate gland, stomach and lung, according to an article published in the "Journal of the National Cancer Institute" in 1999. Not only this Tomatoes are also very good source of fiber.
I make tomato soup as often as possible :) You all know my husband is a
"Tomato Freak :P "
I tried various methods of making tomato soup and my husband loves this recipe. And thank god !! , it is the most simplest way to do :) I don't even use broth for this recipe . Good right ?? :)
Preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 20 - 25 mins
servers - 2
- Tomatoes - 6 - 8 (I use Roma tomatoes, they are juicer than rest)
- Garlic - 4 - 5 clove
- Nutmeg powder- a pinch
- onion - chopped (less than 1/4 cup) (OPTIONAL)
- Grounded pepper - 1 tbsp or to your taste
- salt to taste
- sugar - 1/2 tbsp (Helps reduce the acidity in the soup)
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup / Milk - 1/2 cup
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped garlic and onion to it (You can also use onion powder and garlic powder, it is much easier)
- Once it changes its color, add the chopped tomatoes to it and add salt, pepper, and other spices to it then cover it with the lid.
- Make sure its cooking in medium flame, don't add water at this point and do not let it burn.
- after 5 mins give it a stir and cover again. In case if you don't have heavy cream add about 1/2 cup milk at this point and then cover it with the lid.
- Wait until tomatoes are mashed up.
- You can add any spice of your likings. I preferred Nutmeg, garlic and pepper because it goes super good with tomatoes. I always add these spices to any recipes i make with tomatoes, especially Nutmeg and Garlic, it enhances the flavor of tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes looks mashed up, transfer it to a mixer and beat it until there are no lumps.
- Then before transferring again to the pan, filter the soup, at this point add around 1 to 1.5 cups of water.
- After filtering add sugar and heavy milk, if you haven't added milk before and again heat it on a medium low flame for around 5 - 10 mins.
- Garnish with Basil and server along with bread sticks.
Try and let me know if you enjoy the soup!! :)