You have no time to cook and guests are on their way!! Go ahead and start making pulao there is no second thoughts :)
Believe it or not pulao is the easiest recipe that can be made in no time unlike biriyani.
The main difference between Pulao and Biriyani is, in biriyani you cook the rice and the marinated veggies in layers so that the rice gets the flavors of the veggies and you include varies spices to each layers !! But in Pulao you cook the rice and vegetable together and if you have rice cooker you can make pulao in no time.
- Bell Peppers / Capsicum - 2 cups
- Onion - 1/2 cup | diced
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- green chilli - 2 small | slit
- Whole garam masala - Bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, anistar
- Basmati Rice - Quantity is your preference.
- Cashew nut and Raisins
- Ghee / Oil
- Cut the veggies to bite size pieces and finely chop the onion
- Let the Basmati rice soak in water for 15 mins (Rice : Water ratio is 1: 2)
- Meanwhile in a cooking pan, add ghee / oil and bring it to hot.
- Then add kala jeera and wait until it splutters.
- Then goes the whole garam masala and saute it for few seconds.
- Add onions and saute again until it turns translucent and then add ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavor of it goes.
- Then add green chiilis and other veggies and add salt and cook it for 1 - 2 mins until the veggie get the flavors of the masalas
- Remove the water from basmati rice and add the rice to the veggie mixture and cook for 2 mins.
- Then add the removed water and mix well and close the cooking pan with the lid HALF OPEN, so that the rice wont get smashed, we want the Basmati rice to be full of flavors and each grains separate.
- At this point of time add cashews and raisin to the rice.
- Don't stir often afer 4-5 mins check if rice is cooked and add little more water if required and just stir once to make sure rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Basmati Rice cooks very soon and make sure you stove is on medium heat.
- Once the rice is 95% cooked, add little saffron powder or color and bring the stove to low heat and close the pan completely for a minute or two
Hot Hot Delicious pulao is ready :)