Venn Pongal (Spicy White rice)
Venn Pongal is a traditional south indian breakfast recipe. It is spicy white rice cooked with herb, spices and yellow split peas (Moong dal)
It is one of the most healthiest breakfast recipes we can have in the morning which is easier to make as well.
Preparation time: less than 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves : 2
- Rice - little less than 3/4 cup
- Yellow split peas - little more than 1/4 cup
- salt to taste
- Ghee - 4tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/4 tbsp
- Whole black pepper - 8 - 10
- Grounded Cumin seeds and black pepper - 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - few broken
- Ginger - less than 1/4 tsp minced
- Curry Leaves - Few stands
- For one cup of rice and dal add 3 cups of water , to that add salt as well and pressure cook it until cooked on in the microwave high for around 20 - 23 mins.
- Meanwhile in a tadka heat the ghee and rest of the items for seasoning and saute for couple of minutes. Don't let the spices burn. Saute only until the cashew nuts are roasted
- Once the rice is cooked add the spices in the tadka to it and mix well, pongal is ready to serve.
It goes well with coconut chutneys, tomato chutney and sambar.