Baigan ka Bharta
Are you not a eggplant fan? If so you should definitely try this :) I mean it.
I am not a big fan of eggplant, even today with an exception for this dish. One of my close friends mom cooks best baigan ka bharta. Once when i went to her home at bhopal, i saw her mom making this dish and learnt the recipe from her.
Traditionally the eggplant for this dish is smoky roasted/barbecued. It was a cold morning, we just woke up and came out the house for a morning walk, the moment i stepped out i smelled the roasting smell. It was so nice to sit next to the fire while it was roasting. It was perfect.
But you see neither can lit the fire nor i have a barbecue station. So i had roast it in the oven. But it can also be done on gas stove top on very low flame.
Preparation time: 5 mins
cooing time: 30 - 40 mins
Serves - 2
- Eggplant - 1 large
- tomato -2
- finely chopped onion - 1 cup
- green peas - 1/2 cup
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp + to apply over eggplant
To cook Eggplant:
Apply oil to the eggplant and put in the oven on 475 F for 25 mins or until the skin is tender and smoky flavor comes out of it.
You can also cook the eggplant on the gas stove top on a medium flame and just keep rotating it using a skewer.
once its cooked, peel skin off, cut the root and chop them finely.
To Make the Gravy:
When the eggplant is being roasted in a wok / pan heat oil and then add cumin seeds to it. Add Ginger and garlic paste and saute it for a minute. Then goes in chopped onions, saute it until they become nice pink and translucent. Once the onions are cooked add in the tomatoes, green peas, salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder then mix well. Cover it with the lid and cook until all the raw flavors are gone and tomatoes are cooked real nice and sauce like.
Once the gravy is prepared add in the peeled and chopped eggplant to the gravy and mix well. and cover it with the lid and let it cook in the medium flame for couple more minutes.
- The skin of the eggplant should be separated from inside. Don't worry if the skin is burnt, inside would have been cooked nicely.
- You can use little yogurt to the gravy it will be nice, sometimes i use them but traditionally it will not be used.
- If you don't have ginger garlic paste, add in nicely minced ginger and garlic to it while sauteing. You can add more of garlic and less ginger it will enhance the flavor of roasted eggplant.
Serve Hot with
Enjoy and Happy cooking !!