Bisi Bela Bath
Bisi Bela Bath, which literally means Hot-Lentil-Rice in Kannada. My mom used to make and it would be so delicious. One day i was actually not feeling well and i dint want to stand in the kitchen for a long time. I had no clue all in a sudden this dish popped up in my mind !! Lucky Me :P
It is a super easy dish which has so many veggies, has multiple flavors to be simple its a nutritionally yummy dish !! Generally my husband gives his comments only when i ask him a thousand time 'How is it' :D But for the first time when he had this he told its superb !! Ohh.. I was so happy ;)
This dish is actually rice, lentil and veggies cooked along with grind spices. So its actually 2 step process.
Preparation time: 20 mins
cooking time: 30 mins
Servers : 2
- Basmati Rice - 3/4 cup
- Toor Dal (red gram) - 1/4 cup
- Carrot - 1 small
- cauliflower florets - 1/2 cup
- beans - 5-7
- potato - 1 medium
- chopped eggplant - 1/2 cup
- tomato - 1/2
- Onion - 1 cup
- green chilli - 1
- salt - to taste (I used Sea salt)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
- Tamarind juice -1 cup (from a small sized ball around 2 ")
- Red chilli - 2 large
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- coriander seeds - 1tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- black pepper cons - 1/2 tbsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - 1 tsp
- urad dal - tbsp
- channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cardamom stick - 1
- cloves -2
- coconut powder- 4 tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified butter) - 2 tbsp (If you dont want to use ghee, you can use coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds
- Make sure all veggies are chopped into small pieces so that they get cooked easily.
- Generally the rice and lentil will be soaked for over an hour. But i din't soak still it came out good. But its up to you. If you want soak rice and lentil separately an hour before you make the dish
- In a cooking (Sauce) pan, add ghee/oil and once its smoking add mustard seeds when they splutter add in onions and green chilli and saute them for a minute until the onions turn pink
- Then add ginger garlic paste (It is optional) I used because my mom used to add. My mom also uses small (pearl) onions instead of shallots (Red onions), but i preferred shallots.
- Once the raw smell of ginger and garlic paste is gone add in rest of the chopped veggies and mix well. Sprinkle some salt for taste.
- After 2 mins, add in rice and lentil and mix well and saute for minute
- Then for a 3/4 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of lentil. I used around 2 cups of water and cover it with a lid.
- Meanwhile when the rice lentil and veggies are cooking, in another frying pan add in the spices (Mustard seeds, Red chilli, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds) and gently dry roast them in a low flame.
- Once they change their color add in the whole garam masala and dry roast them too.
- Once they are done finally add in coconut powder / coconut pieces and roast them until they turn light golden color.
- Then i a mixer/ blender grind them into a nice coarse powder.
- Add this powder and tamarind juice to the cooking rice and mix well and again cover it with a lid. By the time you add this , rice would have cooked 60%, so after adding this it will be done in 10 mins mostly.
- keep checking ever few minutes. do not let the bottom burn.Once it is done garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve it with papad (rice crackers)
Enjoy this and Happy Cooking !! :)