Bisi Bela Bath (sambar sadham)
Bisi Bela Bath, which literally means Hot-Lentil-Rice in Kannada. My mom used to make and it would be so delicious. A simple one pot dish which is so easy to put together and can go without grinding, look my video recipe to make instant bisibelabath masala
It is a super easy dish which has so many veggies which has multiple flavors!!
This dish is actually rice, lentil and veggies cooked along with grind spices. So with instant pot its actually a simple 2 step process.
- Preparation time: 20 mins
- cooking time: 30 mins
- Servers : 2
- Rice - 1 cup
- Toor Dal (red gram) - 1/4 cup
- Vegetable medley - 2 cups | I often use carrots, beans, chayote squash, drumstick, eggplant)
- Onion - 1/3 cup
- Chickpeas - cooked 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Hing - 1 tsp
- Tamarind juice -1 cup (from a small sized ball around 2 ")
- Red chilli - 3 large
- Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper cons - 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - tbsp
- Channa dal - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom stick - 1 inch stick
- Cloves -2
- Coconut powder- 2 tbsp
Alternately Check the video below for instant bisibelabath masala
- Sambar powder - 1 tbsp
- Kothamalli varai podi (Spiced coriander powder) - 1 tbsp
- Coconut powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified butter) - 2 tbsp (If you dont want to use ghee, you can use coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds
- fenugreek seeds
- Make sure all veggies are diced into small pieces so that they get cooked easily.
- Generally the rice and lentil will be soaked for over an hour. But I din't soak still it came out good.
- In a cooking (Sauce) pan, add ghee/oil and once its smoking add mustard seeds when they splutter add in onions and saute them for a minute until the onions turn pink
- Once the raw smell of tamarind is gone, add in rest of the chopped veggies and mix well. Sprinkle some salt for taste.
- After 2 mins, add in rice and lentil and mix well and saute for minute
- Meanwhile when the rice lentil and veggies are cooking, in another frying pan dry roast and grind red chilli, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, channa dal, urad dal and coconut
- Then use mixer/ blender grind them into a nice coarse powder.
- Add this powder and tamarind pulp and now add rice and lentils
- Once it is done garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve it with papad (rice crackers)
Enjoy this and Happy Cooking !! :)