Dal Makhani (Lentil Rich sauce)
I was never a dal makhani fan. Until one day when i was at pune, my roommate took me to a restaurant near by and made me taste it. She told i wouldn't regret if i did. She was right :) The Dal Makhani they provide was just yummy and i still feel the taste of it in my buds.
As the name says this is definitely rich in both flavors and calories. Generally lotttsss of butter and heavy milk is used to make it rich. But i varied it a little bit and tried to reduce the calories.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Waiting time: overnight
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves : 2
- Black Urad / Black gram - 1/2 cup
- tomato puree - 1 cup (from 3-4 tomatoes)
- Onion - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- coriander powder - 1tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Butter - 1/2 tbsp
- salt - to taste
- Dal makhani masala powder -2 tbsp
- coriander leaves - for garnishing
- I did not use Rajma, generally small portion of it is also used. You can always go ahead and add the same.
- If you are not using Dal makhni masala powder use the below combination, it is much easier to use the masala powder (Coriander, Chili, Cumin, Black Pepper, Dry Mango Powder, Cinnamon, Big Cardamom, Bay Leaves, White Salt, Black Salt, Turmeric Powder, Pomegranate powder, Green Cardamom, Fennel Seeds, Nutmeg, Mace, Asafoetida)
Soak the dal (along with rajma if you are using) overnight.
In a blender add tomatoes and make tomato puree. Then finely chop onions and keep it aside. Meanwhile cook the dal which was soaked overnight until it can mashed easily.
In a tava / sauce pan add butter/ ghee and heat it. then add in jeera and saute it along with ginger and garlic paste. once the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone, add chopped onions and saute it again until the onions turn pink. Then add in the tomato puree and other masala's (coriander powder, dal makhani powder) and mix well and cover it with a lid. cook until all the raw flavors of the powder is gone. Open the lid and keep stirring once in a while. If necessary add water and don't let it burn.
Once the raw flavors are gone, add milk and cooked dal to the gravy and mix well. Now turn down the heat to medium low and cook in a low flame for 15 - 20 mins at least.
Dal Makhani goes great with Roti and Jeera rice. Serve Hot.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !!