I never in my life heard of Mango Rasam before I made this. I had a ripe mang0 sitting in my home for so many days, All in a sudden i started thinking why cant i make rasam with that and God bless Google when i searched i actually found a recipe and i decided I was not mad :P !!
It is actually just like Lemon Rasam, in that you substitute Tamarind juice with Lemon Juice. Here its substitute with Mango pulp.
15 mins (Includes making mango pulp and cooking dal)
- Ripe green Mango - 1
- Finely chopped tomato - 1/2
- Toor dal (Red Gram) - 1/4 cup
- Minced Ginger - 1/2 tsp
- green chilli -1
- Rasam powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Hing - a pinch
- Grated Jaggery - 1 tsp (Optional, it helps if the mango is too sour)
- Coriander leaves - To Garnish
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pressure cook / boil the dal and keep it aside
Preparing Mango Pulp:
In a Wok/ sauce pan cut the mango into 2 to 3 slices and pour some water, cover it with a lid and bring it to boil. Cook until the mango is tender. Once cooked remove the excess water if any and keep it aside. Let the mango cool down, then peel the skin off and squeeze all the pulp out of mango. If you are not able to squeeze them can cut into small pieces and mash them.
In the same sauce pan, add in the juiced mango pulp, drained water (if any left) or add fresh water, Rasam powder, chopped tomatoes, Green Chilli, ginger, hing, salt and jaggery and let it boil until the raw smell is gone.
- Keep Stirring once in a while and add water if rasam becomes too thick.
- Adjust the spice level between rasam powder and green chilli accordingly.
- If you don't have rasam powder Dry roast and Grind the below ingredients into fine powder. (coriander seeds - 1 tbsp, cumin seeds - 2 tsp, black pepper - 1 tsp, red chilli - 2 to 3,mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp, fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp)
Once the rasam is cooked, mash the dal (lentil) and add it to the rasam and let it boil for a minute. Meanwhile heat ghee in the tadka and once hot add in mustard seeds and cumin seeds and season the rasam. Finally Garnish it with Coriander leaves.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !! :)