paruppu usili (Scrambled Lentil curry)
paruppu usili is a traditional south indian delicacy and it is a perfect accomplishment with Mor Kuzhambu. The literal meaning of paruppu usili is Crambled/Fried lentil. There are so many veggies (Banana flower, cluster beans, french beans, beetroot) that can be used for this recipe. I used Cluster beans, No matter what vegetable is used, it tastes yummyy :) and also its packed with so many nutrition.
I hate to eat plain beans curry, so i always prefer this and cluster beans is not my husband's favorite veggie so what other better way is there to make him eat the cluster beans :D
Preparation time: 10 mins + 1 hour soaking time
cooking time: 15 mins
servers : 2
- cluster beans - 100 gms (or chopped around 2 cups)
To Soak and Grind:
- Toor Dal (Red gram) - 1/4 cup
- channa dal - 1/4 cup
- asafetida - a generous pinch
- salt to taste
- Dried Red chilli - 3
- shredded Coconut - 2 tbsp or to ur taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp (I used coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- Soak Toor dal and channa dal for an hour at least, mean while chop the veggie as small pieces as possible so that they are easily cooked
- Once the dal is soaked in a blender/mixer grind together soaked dal, salt, hing, red chilli, coconut into a find paste and pressure cook them with enough water or cook them in microwave high for about 10 mins
- Meanwhile on stove top, add water and salt to the cluster beans and cook them without covering with the lid. Any green items cooked with the lids on looses its color.
- Once the dal is pressure cooked just scramble them with a fork or spoon and keep them aside till the veggie is ready
- once the beans is cooked, transfer them to a bowl and to the same pan, add oil and to that add mustard seeds and urad dal and wait for it to splutter and turn its color, then again add in the beans and scrambled lentil and slowly fry them in a medium low flame, until the lentil turns golden brown.
- Finally dress them with some curry leaves.
- Adjust and add salt while cooking dal and veggie separately, it wont mix when you cook them together.
- Make sure when the dal is pressure cooked it is neither liquid nor very solid
- If you want to enhance the flavor you can go ahead and add a tsp of ghee when the lentil and veggies are cooking.
- Mainly scramble the lentil real nice so that it looks like each piece of beans is covered with lentil
Happy Cooking !! :D