Rava Idli (Steamed Semolina Cake)
This is the first dish i made for my husband after our marriage :) I remember my husband telling It was Delicious to eat even without chutney or sambhar :D Happy ME !!
It is more like instant idli. No fermentation no waiting yet tastes Yummmm !!!
Preparation time: < 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 -20 mins
Server's - 12 Idli's
- Oil - 1 tbsp (Mustard oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- channa dal - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- hing - a generous pinch
- chopped curry leaves / coriander leaves - few strands
- Green chilli - 1 large / 2 medium
- Minced Ginger - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch (for color)
- Semolina - 1 cup (Coarse variety is preferred)
- Curd / Cultured Yogurt - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup (or as much as need, depends on the yogurt thickness)
- salt - to taste
- Cashew nuts - if preferred (Optional)
- Carrot - 1 small (grated)
- Oil - for greasing Idli plates
For Making Batter:
In a wok / pan heat the oil and add all the ingredients mentioned for seasoning and saute for few mins until they change color.
Then Switch off the stove, add semolina (Sooji/Rava) and mix well in the seasoned oil for a minute. To that add grated carrot, salt and curd and mix well without any lumps.
Then slowly add water to that(if necessary) to make a thick / pourable batter and keep it aside
The batter should be slightly thicker than normal idli batter.
TO MAKE IDLI
In a steamer / idli maker / pressure cooker (without weight) boil water. Meanwhile grease idli plates with oil so that once steamed idli's wont stick to the plates.
Then pout idli batter to the plates and cook them for about 15 - 20 mins.
You will know if the Idlis are cooked properly When the knife stuck inside comes out clean.
Isn't this one of the simplest recipes. !! Serve hot with Chutney or
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !!