Spicy Dal (Lentil Stew)
I try to add lentil at least in one meal of the day. Being a Vegetarian I try to utilize all possible opportunities to consume proper protein Intake for the day. Lentils not only provides protein also rich in fiber and other amino acids.
Preparation time: 15 - 20 mins (Includes boiling of Dal, until it can be easily mashed)
Cooking time: 15 mins
Servers : 2
- chopped onion - 1 cup
- Tomato - 2
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- green chilli - 1
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Toor Dal (Red Gram) - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder -- a pinch
- salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tsp
- Boil / pressure cook the dal (Lentil) until it can be mashed easily (Add salt and turmeric powder to taste)
- In a mixer/ blender add in 1 Chopped tomato, green chilli, ginger, garlic (if you have paste, its okay add it instead of whole ginger & garlic ) and blend it into a smooth paste and keep it aside in the counter.
- Then in a pan, add oil and once its hot drop in cumin seeds and wait for it to change color. Then add onions and fry them until they are nice brown color. But be careful not to burn them.
- Once the onions are done add the rest of the chopped tomatoes and to that add a pinch of salt, garam masala red chilli powder and the paste from the blender and mix together. Cover it with the lid and let it cook for few minutes until all the raw flavors are gone.
- Add little water if necessary. (It wont be, if the tomatoes are juicy)
- Once it cooked mash the pressure cooked dal to the gravy and stir well and cover it with the lid.
- Let it cook for another 2 mins, and finally garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
This recipe of dal, accompanies white rice, roti's and many more. Enjoy !!