Cabbage Bhaji (Cabbage Stew)
Are you tired of cooking cabbage in the same way or you want to make someone who doesn't like cabbage (Like me ;) ) ? There are so many reasons to try an ingredient in different ways. Before marriage whenever my mom makes cabbage at home I just share a look with my brother and he just eats my part too :D (Sshhhh !! I don't want my mom to read this)
Myself and my husband both of us find reasons not to buy cabbage while grocery shopping, but we both know we cannot continue doing this. Once i came along this recipe from a cookbook by meenakshi ammal found it very interesting.
If you are not aware of this recipe or trying to avoid cabbage like me lets get started :) This recipe is for people like us :)
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
Serves : 2
- Shredded cabbage - 2 cups (heaped)
- Lemon / lime - 1
- salt - to taste
- Toor dal (Red Gram) or moong dal - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- ginger - a small piece (Minced)
- Green chilli - 2 medium (slitted)
- Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
- curry leaves - few strands
It is very simple recipe and its more like
Pressure cook cabbage, salt and lentil until for 3 whistles, Once the cabbage and the lentil is done switch off the stove and add lemon juice to it and give it a stir.
Then in a tadka heat oil, once smoking add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter. Then add in rest of the ingredients and saute for few seconds and add it to the cooked cabbage stew and mix well. Cabbage Bhaji is ready.
- If the cabbage and lentil is not blending together add a tbsp of rice flour to it and cook it for couple of more minutes.
- Try to shred the cabbage if not chop it into fine pieces.
Enjoy and happy cooking !