This dish is a treat for pure vegetarians or vegans :) I call it a vegetarians omelet !! ;) This recipe is Besan chilla but famously known as Egg-less omelet. I am sure you will definitely wont miss the protein in the dish compared to real omelet.
Once when we went to a small typical Brahmin restaurant where they serve this dish. My Father in law was so happy to say, "4 omelet's please" :) I always wanted to try them at home and finally here it is :)
It is super easy, when you have no time for dinner go ahead and do this with no second thoughts !!
Preparation time: less than 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
serves : 5 - 6 omelets
- Besan (Gram Flour) - 1 cup
- Semolina / sooji/ rava - 1/2 cup
- red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- veggies - 11/2 cup (I used finely chopped onion, carrots & bell peppers)
- Oil - to make omelet
- Water - to make batter
To Cut Veggie:
Finely chop all the veggies and keep them ready.
To Make Batter:
Mix all the dry ingredients (besan, rava, spices and salt) well together. Then add water and make a lump free batter, it should be a thin batter, thinner than the
. I used around 1 1/4 cup of water.
once the lump free batter is prepared to that add the veggies.
TO MAKE OMELET:
Heat the pan or tawa on medium - high heat and grease it with oil. once smoking pour the batter on to the tawa (Don't swirl like for making dosa's) and slowly rotate the tawa so that it spreads around the pan. wait for it to cook on one side or when the corners become brown and crispy slowly using the laddle turn them upside down.
After turning them upside down keep pressing on top of the omelet for less than a minute.
- Consistency of the batter is important, if the semolina is more the omelet tend to stick to the pan.
- If the batter is thick then you will get a very thick omelet, sometimes it might not get cooked inside. so it is better to make a thin batter
- pressing after turning sides helps the omelet to get soft and spongy.
Enjoy and Happy cooking :) !!
P.S: republishing this recipe. Linking it to
guest hosted by
and event started by