Oatmeal Apple smoothie
1 st thing i hear is Whatt!! Oats ??? Apple??? WIERD :) .. I understand but I am ready to argue here :) This recipe struck my mind when i was sick and my husband made me oat meal and topped with fruits and next thing which struck my mind was buttermilk gruel (or kanji as my grandma says :) ) which is made with barley. So i thought when they make gruel with curd and barley why cant a smoothie with oats?? :)
But believe me 1 cup of this smoothie is good enough for breakfast. No time for breakfast??, Work calling you?? , trouble with kids to feed breakfast?? this is for you :)
I recommend to give it a try, you can use any fruit you like, i used apple 'An apple a day keeps doctor away' ;)
Preparation time: 5 mins
waiting time: 10 mins
Serves : 2
- Apple - 1 (chopped)
- Oats - 1/4 th cup (I used Quaker Oats)
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Honey - 1 tbsp (or to taste)
In a bowl soak the oats and boil to a mashable consistency and let it sit in the counter until its comes to room temperature
In a blender add chopped apple, yogurt, water (if necessary) and honey and blend until its smooth and creamy.
- Choose an apple which is sweet in nature. Try to avoid sour apple.
- Same is the case with yogurt / curd, use it before it becomes sour, it spoils the taste.
- If you are really not a yogurt person you can try it with milk, using yogurt gives a special taste like Lassi :)
- If you are watching calories you can use Low fat yogurt and honey !! If the apple is sweet the sweetener wont be necessary at all.
Enjoy and Happy healthy Drinking !! :)
I am submitting this recipe to super food event which has interesting thoughts about super foods like oats, avocado, tomatoes even dark chocolate and soo many more. Give it a read.. links below :)