Ragi Vada (Finger Millet Patty)
One night my husband asked me to make protein rich snack which can be made soon, so I decided between ragi dosa
or masala vada. But then I realized we often forget olden days cooking. Back then there were no protein shakes available, instead in the morning Ragi kanji or (Finger millet Gruel) was consumed. Through ragi's major content is carbohydrate its is rich in protein and has less fat. All these were already know to our grand parents :) Intelligent people uh ;)
So the point is finally I decided to make the some dish with ragi and ended up with Ragi vada :) It is easy to make and you can even substitute the potato patty in the burger with this recipe:)
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time : 15 - 20 mins
- Serves - 10 patty's (vada's)
- Ragi flour - 1 cup
- Ground nuts (Peanuts) - 1/4 cup
- Roasted channa dal (Pottu kadalai in tamil) - 1/4 cup
- Green chilli - 1 finely chopped
- Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- salt - to taste
- Dates - 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Heat oil for deep frying on a medium heat
Next in a mixer first coarsely blend ground nuts and roasted channa dal.
To Make the Dough:
In a mixing bowl add ragi flour, coarsely powdered nuts, onion, green chilli , salt and dates and mix well together. Then add little water at a time and make a tough dough.
To make Patty's:
Once the dough is prepared make small balls out of the dough and press the small piece between the palm and make patty's (vada), then drop them in the oil and deep fry them until it crispy outside and inside is cooked or until the bubbles forming around the vada stops.
- The size of the patty depends on the size of the ball you pinch from the dough.
- do not fry them in piping hot oil, heat the oil only in medium heat.
- when you make patty's do not press too hard then it will break into pieces while frying.
- Do not add too much water while making the dough. If you have doubts then roll the dough over with a paper towel and let it sit on the counter for couple of minutes
- Add dried fruits increases the taste for the dish, but its optional
A healthy snack ready in no time :) Serve it with chutney or pickle or make a burger out of it for dinner.
Hope you like it :) Enjoy and Happy cooking !!