This is such a
one can have :) I just love it. It has lots of carrot and milk !! Love its flavor..
My husband drinks it like a soup :)
Why wouldn't he uh ??
Whenever i have some leftover carrots guess what you can find in my kitchen :) Yes you got it right!! :) It is very simple and yet delicious. It is little time consuming, you just need to plan ahead while making this dish. But believe me there is no work except for shredding carrots.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 1/2 Hr
Serves : 4 cups
- Carrots - 4
- Milk - 4 cups
- Sugar - 4 tbsp
- Cardamom / Elachi powder - a generous pinch
- Saffron strands - to garnish (Optional)
In a heavy bottom pan or a sauce pan bring 3 cups of milk to boil.
Meanwhile Shred the carrots and into fine pieces , remember the more tinier they are shredded more easier to cook.
Once the milk reaches boiling point bring it to simmer and add the shredded carrots, sugar and cardamom powder and let it cook in simmer until the carrots raw smell is gone. It will take about 1 hour or 45 mins
Once it is cooked, switch off the stove and let it come to room temperature. Then transfer it to a blender and just pulse it 5 - 6 time. Do not completely mash the carrots.
Finally add the rest of the milk and serve. It tastes Yumm when served both hot and cold.
- Adjust sugar level according to your taste. Just be aware that the carrots are sweet in nature.
- Some like to season it with fried cashews, raisin and other nuts, I like it when its simple. But if you like you can go ahead and add, in that case saute the nuts in clarified butter (Ghee)
- I like to feel the carrot bits in my kheer, if you don't like that way go ahead and blend it completely.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !! :)