Khaman Dhokla (Grounded & Steamed Chickpea Cake)
Dhokla is one of my favorite recipes, I am glad that i was sent to pune for my project when i was working, I became fan of many traditional North Indian dishes like this one,
, so many other dishes too.. If I start listing it would be a never ending list :)
I just love the mixed flavors in this recipe. It is so simple to make and is definitely a treat for tummy :)
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time: 7 - 8 mins mins
Waiting time: 5 - 10 mins
Serves - 15 pieces (varies if the serving size is changed)
For Cake Batter:
- Gram Flour (Ground Chickpeas) - 1 cup
- Coarse Semolina - 2 tbsp
- sugar - 11/2 tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- Lime - 1/2
- green chilli paste - from 1 chilli / adjust to your preference
- ginger - minced 1 tsp
- Fruit salt - 1 tbsp
- water - 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- asafetida / Hing - a generous pinch
- Minced green chilli - 1 tsp
- water - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves
- Shredded coconut
To Make the batter:
In a bowl add all dry ingredients (Gram flour, sugar, salt) and mix well. Then to that add freshly squeezed lime juice, green chilli paste and minced ginger and slowly add water and make a lump free batter
Lastly add the fruit salt and on top of it add a tbsp of water it releases air and immediately mix well together and you will see that the batter would have doubled its volume.
Sorry for the blurred image :) i was trying take the picture with single hand.
After adding fruit salt dont leave it on counter, make sure your steaming setup and grease the deep plate to pour the batter and keep it ready.
To Make Dhokla
Make sure before you add fruit salt to the batter,
- The deep plate is greased
- The steamer is already ready and steam startd to come.
- Make sure you have enough water for the steaming, it is not recommended to open and check while the dhokla is cooking
I used a large pan and filled bottom with 2 cups of water, inverted a bowl and placed the plate with dhokla batter on top of the inverted bowl. Basically not to place the deep plate used for dhokla batter on water, the dhokla will be spoiled
After placing the plate inside cover the pan and let it cook for 7-8 mins. Meanwhile when the dhokla is getting cooked will prepare tadka
In tadka or small pan, heat oil and once smoking add mustard seeds and sesame seeds and wait for it to splutter. then add green chilli and hing. Switch off the flame and finally add a tbsp of water so that it will keep the Dhokla moist even when had when its cold.
Finally once the Dhokla is cooked wait for 5 - 10 mins and pour the tadka on top and season it with some coriander leaves and shredded coconut.
Serve it with mint & coriander chutney and Enjoy !! :)
- Try to use a deep plate and the suitable plate for this recipe would be about 6 - 7 inch diameter and 1 - 2 inch depth
- If you take a wide or a larger diameter plate the dhokla might go flat.
- Fruit salt is important it cannot be substituted with baking soda. it helps the batter to double its volume hence the dhokla comes out spongy
- Do not over cook the dhokla, you will know if the dhokla is cooked when you touch on top of the cooked dhokla it should not stick in you finger.
Hope this helps!!
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !! :)