Old Fashioned Sponge cake
Yayyy !! So happy to type that 'Its My 100th recipe' :) I was giving a lot of thinking for my 100th recipe, thanks for my friends who gave wonderful suggestions :)
I was about to update my Egg-less Death by chocolate cake which i made for my husband's birthday. I informed the same to my mom and she asked me to update something which every one can make. I was little disappointed because i already prepared my mind that i was going to update chocolate cake. But thanks for my mom I came up with this recipe. When I was young my mom used to make sponge cake in pressure cooker, so i tried using the same technology without pressure cooker or oven :)
Best part about this recipe is all you need is a pan, a cup and fork to make this amazing spongy cake :) Its is Oven free, Pressure Cooker free cake recipe :) I assume everyone can make this recipe !!! The myth of "I need Oven to make cake" is gone !! :) ANd also I tried to make it a low calories version :) I did not use butter or sugar. !!
I made a tiny version of the spong cake, can be called a cup cake :P Okay now to the recipe. It is perfect evening snack that can be made in 20 mins.. Yes you heard me right :) But time proportionally increases according to the cake size !!
Preparation time: 5 mins
Baking time: 10 - 15 mins
serves : 1 large cup cake
- Evoparated milk - 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour - 3 tbsp
- Bking powder - 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda - a generous pinch
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Club soda - 3 - 4 tbsp's
To make the Batter:
which worked best for me is
- Evaporated milk +sugar + heavy cream+ Club soda +baking powder + baking soda
- condensed milk + club soda+baking powder + baking soda.. both work great..
In a bowl add evaporated milk and oil and beat well with a fork. then to that add vanilla extract and beat again. To that add all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and fold in together with the dough. Finally by slowly adding club soda make a nice thick batter.
To Make Cake:
While making the batter preheat the pan in medium high flame without covering with lid for 5 mins at least and
importantly without water. The cake is basically baked on the dry heat coming from the pan.
Once the batter is transferred to a greased cup (I used a regular stainless cup and a non stick pan) place it on the pan and cover it with the lid.
After 2 mins, lower the flame / simmer and let it bake for 10 - 15 mins, in between give it a check by inserting a toothpick / skewer in the center. If the batter sticks to the tooth pick means it needs couple more minutes to get cooked. If it comes out clean take the cup outside and let it cool down
You can easily multiply the quantity and make a bigger cake, but make sure the it fits the pan properly and able to cover it with lid.
TADAAAA !!! :D The cake is ready for my evening tea !!
Hope you like this recipe.
Trust me it came out so soft and was melting in my mouth and this reminds me i need to go make my husband another one before he comes back from work ;)
- Don't let the bottom burn try to grease properly and place a piece of wax paper on the bottom of the cup
- If you have a sweet tooth go ahead and add sugar / honey to the evaporated milk or use condensed milk instead of evaporated milk
- When you make in large quantity it takes about 30 - 40 mins (assuming the pan size is 7 inch diameter)
- if you are using cake flour or self raising flour you can avoid using baking soda and baking powder.
- If you wish to cook the same in a pressure cooker add a layer of sand to the bottom of the cooker and place the cup or any baking tray used over it.Do not put weight after covering it with lid and do not add water.
Enjoy and Happy baking !!
Sending this recipe to the Event conducted
and series started