This is one of the perfect lunch box ideas :) You are a busy mom/ person? Have only half an hour? yes ! this recipe definitely goes into my
As i mentioned in previous posts, we buy a lot of carrots and my husband loves carrots in any forms, i guess i have already mentioned in
post. So it triggers me to make new ways to consume carrots in our diet.. I love my husband for this.. If he was not a food lover i would never be able to venture anything new..
OK now to the recipe :)
Preparation time: 15 mins
cooking time: 15 mins
Serves : 2
- Carrots - 3 Large
- Onions - 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Cooked Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste.
For Tadka (Seasoning) :
- Ghee (Clarified butter) - 1 tbsp
- cinnamon stick - 1 small
- cloves - 3
- bay leaf - 1 small
- Dried Red chilli - 3 (adjust to your spice level)
- Black Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- whole black Peppercorns - 7 - 8
- Cashew nuts - crushed 1 tbsp
- channa dal (bengal gram) - 1 tsp
Cook the basmati rice and keep it ready or cook it before the mixture is getting ready. If you have microwave oven, cook the rice in the microwave save bowl for 15 mins ( rice : water is 1: 1.5)
Grate the carrot and keep it ready
In a wok or a pan, heat ghee and once smoking add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and sautee for a minute.
Then to that add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter then add in the Redchilli, pepper corns, channa dal and cashew nuts and saute until its turns golden color.
Then add in the onions and cook until it turns translucent. Don't brown it. As soon as the onion turns pink add the shredded carrots and salt. Saute it until it is cooked. would take about 15 mins.
Once the raw smell is gone add in the cooked basmati rice to the veggie mixture and mix well.
- I included more carrots and substituted with less rice. So make adjustments according to your needs.
- You can also include 1 small tomato to this. Will help to enhance the flavor.
- If you are out of red chilli's you can substitute it with green chilli as well. While adding chiili's Slit then in the center so that spice is easily absorbed to the rice.
Garnish it with some coriander leaves. Serve hot with Cucumber Raitha.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking !
Linking this recipe to
. Though my husband loves all the recipes which i updated in my blog, somehow i felt so attached while updating this recipe. Thanks lakshmi for this wonderful event. :)