Dum Aloo (Baby Potatoes in Yogurt gravy)
I love to make Dum Aloo, it is super easy and it is blended with lots of spices. There are various versions of Dum Aloo gravy, made with tomato gravy, onion and yogurt gravy, just yogurt gravy. Tradionally in Kashmir it is made with just yogurt and slowly cooked in a low flame for a long time. But I made alteration for my conveniences and likings..hope you like it too.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves : 2
- Ghee (Clarified butter) - 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Baby Potatoes / bite size potatoes - 6 or 8
- Onion - 1 small
- Yogurt - 1/4 cup
- whole Cashew nut / almonds - 10
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Crushed Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Dry roasted and crushed Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Boil and potatoes in water until they are 75% cooked
For the Gravy:
In a cup, add all the spices mentioned in yogurt and mix well and leave it on the counter for few minutes
Chop the onions and blend to a smooth paste along with the spiced yogurt.
Mean while once the potatoes are boiled, peel the skin off and saute them in 1/2 tbsp of ghee until the outside is roasted
In the same pan, add rest of the Ghee and add in the cumin seeds and wait for it to sputter. Then to that add in the onion gravy, cook until the raw smell is gone
Meanwhile, in a small blender make a paste of the nuts (cashew/almond, your choice) with a tbsp of water and add it to the gravy. To that also add the roasted potatoes and lower the flame. Mix well and cover it with a tight lid. It should cook slowly for at least 10 mins in simmer.
- Ginger powder and Fennel seeds is a must. If you dont have ginger powder handy, you can also use regular ginger, but add them while sauteing Cumin seeds.
- Using Cashew nut milk truly brings out a rich creamy texture to the gravy. you can also include it while blending the onion gravy.
- Cover it with the lid only when the gravy becomes thick and the raw smell is gone. Make sure its tightly closed.
Enjoy with some Hot Phulkas or roti :)
Happy Cooking !! :)