Vermicelli pulao (Semiya Vegetable Pulao)
Before i even thought about making this, myself and my husband we had a serious discussion for fixing on a dinner menu. We both gave veto to dosa's, idli's, upma's and roti's, Phewww !! i know there are too many other things to worry about like treasure hunting all the potatoes my daughter had hidden in the kitchen cabinets :D
But then i remember seeing all the amazing pulao & biriyani recipies made with vermicelli. This is the first time i made this and definitely wont be the last time. Its easy to make and more importantly yumm!
Preparation time: 10 mins
cooking time: 15 mins
Serves : 3 to 4
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Whole garam masalas (Bay leaf, Cloves, cinammon sticks) - 2 each
- Cumin seeds / jeera - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 2 (cut vertically)
- Chopped cashew nut (Optional)
- Roasted Vermicelli (Semiya) - 1 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped / diced vegetables - 2 cups (Carrots, Bell peppers, Potato, Green peas)
- Chopped Onion - 1/4 cup
- Tomato - 1
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves - 15 to 20
- Thin coconut milk - 1 cup + 2 cups water
- salt - to taste
I just made my version of
with little variations. Its super simple and delicious and mainly kid friendly (Yes, every meal we decide it mostly will be our daughter friendly)
In a kadai add ghee and once hot saute all the garam masalas, nuts and green chilli. In a minute add onion and saute until the raw smell is gone. Then goes the tomatoes and other vegetables
Once the veggies are cooked add roasted vermicelli and give a good mix. Now add coconut milk and water, then cover & cook it for 5 to 10 mins by stirring occasionally in between. when its almost done add mint leaves and mix.
Tadda !! Lip smacking meal is ready in no time.
- Make sure to keep stirring occasionally to avoid burnt pulao.
- choice of veggies can be personalized
- And yes not to forget mint makes it taste wonderful.
Enjoy and Happy cooking!