The first time I ever wanted to try cheesecake was after hearing Rachel and chandler from F.R.I.E.N.D.S describe it. Of course it was hard to find an eggless cheesecake in retail shops and ended up making one without trying an actual cake. After making it over and over again for 5 years I finally decided to share my take on recipe. This turned out to be one of my husband's favorite cakes.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Baking time : 60 mins to 90 mins
cooling time : 1 hour and more
For the crust
- Crushed graham crackers - 2 cups
- Dash of cinnamon
- Butter - 1/2 cup
For the filling
- Philadelphia cream cheese - 16 oz / 2 cups
- Sour cream - 1 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Vanilla extract or paste - 1 tbsp
Before planning to make cheesecake make sure all the items are at room temperature.
In a food processor or with Ziploc and roller, crush the crackers.
- Add the melted or room temperature butter and cinnamon and make the crust.
- Press evenly throughout a 9" pan and put it in the freezer to set for 20 mins.
Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 F and whip cream cheese along with sugar, vanilla and cornstarch and make a luscious cream.
To that add in sour cream and gently fold in the filling. Transfer it to the freezing crust and put it in the preheating oven.
I used a water bath to bake the cake. So that the top won't burn or turn brown while baking. For water bath I simply covered the pan with aluminium foil and placed in a tray filled with 2 cups of water before placing it in the oven
- Bake time is around 60 mins without water bath and 90 mins with water bath.
- No need to refill the water if has evaporated
- Using a springform pan is better for baking cheesecake.
- Let it rest on the counter for a while before refrigerating it. Best served cold.
Enjoy and Happy Baking.