Thogayal (3-ways) - Instant veggie mix for rice
Thogayal is the easiest way I can sneak veggies into my toddler's diet. It is one of the versatile recipe that has no restriction over the types of veggies that can be used. I love thogayal / thuviyal, this is one of those dishes that has it all. Healthy, time saving and kid approved.
This is a perfect south indian detox recipe. Somedays all you need is thogayal and pachadi to satisfy your hunger. Simple yet delicious. This is a perfect replacement for regular main course with rice.
Thogayals are made multiple ways with various veggies. I chose three variety that tastes amazing with the same recipe.
Preparation time for 1 - 10 mins
cooking time - 10 mins
- Urad dal - 2 tbsp
- Dried red chilli - 2 or adjust to your spice level
- Asafoetida/ Hing - Generous pinch
- Tamarind - 1 inch piece
- Veggie - Brinjal -4 / Mint & coriander - a small bunch each / ridge gourd - 1
- Shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
Scoop the flesh out of a ridge gourd or Separate leaves from mint stems and chop coriander leaves or fire roast brinjal on low flame and peel the skin off.
This recipe couldn't be more straight forward.
- Heat oil in pan / tawa
- Add urad dal and wait until it changes color
- Then goes tamarind
- Add slit red chilli's and hing
- Then veggie or green of your choice. In this case (brinjal/mint or ridge gourd)
- Grind with salt and shredded coconut.
Enjoy with hot cup of rice with a side of vadam or appalam and pachadi.