Maangai pachadi (Green Mango Jam)
I love maangai pachadi, generally made during festivals and functions. Especially made during tamil new year. The importance of this recipe is it has all flavours (umami) and our life is meant to have all flavor like that. So the new year is started with this recipe
- Sweetness from jaggery
- Sourness from Green mango
- Spiciness from Red chilli
- Astringent from dry neem flavor
Traditionally this is multi-step recipe, I am trying the same version in instant pot. The same procedure can be easily translated to stove top and stove top pressure cooker
- Green Mango - 2
- Jaggery - 2 small blocks
- Dry neem leaves (Veppampoo) - 1 tbsp
- Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsp (Optional , when mango is not sour)
- Salt - to taste
- Gingelly oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Dried red chilli - 2
- Hing / Asafoetida - generous pinch
Switch on Instant pot, add a cup of water to the main pot. Place a trivet and add a cup of crushed jaggery and 1/4 cup water.
On top of that place steamer rack/plate and place whole mangoes. Prick the mango with a fork or knife and then place it in the rack.
SWITCH ON THE IP - Manual - HP - 4 Mins
When the pressure is naturally released. Remove the skin from mangoes and squeeze the pulp out. Filter jaggery and keep it aside.
In the main pot, clean and reheat. To that add oil and fry vepampoo (this step is optional) , then remove and set aside. To the same oil add mustard seeds, hing, and dried red chilli. STIR. Then add mango pulp and jaggery. Simmer for a minute or 2 based on the desired consistency you like.
- Veppam poo (Dried neem flower) is optional
- If used, top it only before serving. The crispy texture along with the jam takes it to a whole new level of flavor burst.
- Tamarind is traditionally not used however if the mango is not sour then go ahead and add a tbsp of thick pulp or paste.
- You can also place peeled and diced mango pieces instead of placing whole mango in the pot.
- Another way is to peel and dice mangoes and add Jaggery syrup and cook for the same time.
Enjoy and happy cooking