Kesari (Semolina Pudding) | Kesari in instant pot
I am not a dessert person. I was very picky when it comes to sweets and desserts, until I met my husband. I call him a " Sweet factory" :) I never really liked kesari until one day my husband made me. Wow !! I am drooling all over when I say this, he makes the best heavenly delicious kesari :)
Originally this is made with boiling in water. But my husband used milk in his version.
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time : 15 mins
- Servers : 3-4 depending on the serving size
- Rava (Semolina / sooji) - 1 cup
- Water / Milk - 2 cups
- Sugar - 2 cup or (adjust to your taste)
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Broken Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Raisins - 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - a pinch (Optional)
- Saffron - few pinch (soaked in water)
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the ghee and let it melt, then add cashew nuts to it and fry them until they are golden brown. Then add raisins and saute for a bit. Take it out of the heat and set aside.
- To the same ghee pan, add roasted rava (Semolina) to it and slightly make sure the rava is covered in ghee without any lumps. Don't brown the rava or burn it, make sure the stove is on medium heat.
- Then to that add in sugar and mix well for 2 mins
- Then add in 2 cup of milk (hot)/ boiling water and keep stirring, at this point add soaked saffron and cardamom powder and keep stirring.
- Add ghee and keep mixing without any lumps. If you feel the rava (semolina) needs little more milk or water for preferred textured add at this point.
INSTANT POT RECIPE
Start IP in saute mode, melt a tbsp of ghee, then fry cashew nut and raisin and set aside. To that add rava, sugar and mix well. Stop saute mode. Then add hot water while stirring the rava sugar mix. Then add cardamom powder, soaked strands.
Cover and cook at Manual - LP - 4 mins - Vent sealed - Keep warm off
- Make sure the rava is roasted. If not it tends to give a gooey texture.
- Just before adding sugar, coat the rava (semolina) with a layer of ghee. This also helps avoid sticking to each other.
- Don't forget to heat water / milk before adding to the rava. This is very important to get even textured kesari.
- Adjust water/ milk and sugar according to personal preference.
Serve hot as a dessert or even as breakfast just reduce the sugar in the recipe.
Enjoy and happy cooking.